Grant eligibility criteria
Firms which GEM will consider for funding under this window must meet the following criteria:
- The firm must be registered on the BIG platform;
- The firm has received notification that it has attained the minimum points that qualify the firm for a performance grant;
- The firm is a for-profit private sector company, partnership or sole trader. Unregistered firms or entrepreneurs can be eligible but will need to show evidence of a business registration at the time of the agreement signature;
- The firm must be operating in Nigeria;
- The firm must be operating in any of the following sectors ICT, Entertainment, Light Manufacturing (Agri-business & Industrial processing), Hospitality & Tourism and Construction & Real estate, or any activities related to one of these sectors;
- The firm must have no more than a fifty (50) full-time employees;
- GEM funding must be requested for utilization on eligible costs or activities
- The firm must satisfy the requirements on Environmental and Social compliance; and
- The firm’s application must demonstrate that GEM funding will result in increased sales for the business, increased value added per worker and creation of new jobs.
Matching fund requirements
No matching fund requirement
Performance grants will fund technical assistance, equipment and goods. The grant will be tied to a business plan which details how the firms intends to use GEM funds.
Grantee selection process
- Firms are invited for an Induction workshop
- Eligible firms are admitted to BIG services
- Participating firms earn points on completion of technical support and capacity building programs.
- On accumulating the required number of points, eligible firms are invited to participate in the GEM business plan competition.
- Submitted business plans are evaluated and undergo due approvals
- Final successful firms are selected for grant award.
Successful grantees will sign a contract with the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment (FMITI). The contract commits the grantee to the terms and conditions of the grant.